Have you been feeling stressed out lately? Rather than allowing this stress to consume you, thus making you feel angry and upset, choose to relax instead! There are tons of ways you can easily lower your stress levels so you can go about your day like nothing ever happened in the first place.
- Walk It Off – Going outside and taking a short walk can help you unplug from whichever stressful situation is currently ailing you. It’s a moving form of meditation as it allows you to practice mindfulness, focusing on your senses and what surrounds you.
- Think of Loved Ones – Pause your day for a minute, close your eyes, and think of some people you love. Think about good times you’ve shared with them and then send silent good wishes their way.
- Crank Some Tunes – Turn on your favorite song or album and jam out for a few minutes! Focus on the music, maybe do a little dance, and think about why you love this song (where you were and who you were with when you first heard it). You should also keep your favorite music on low while you’re doing chores or relaxing.
- Talk to a Friend – Meet up with a close friend or call them on the phone to chat for a bit. Keeping your friendships and connections strong will bring you pure joy each and every time you say “hello” to them! You can also use this other person to vent to, allowing you to get some things that have been bothering you off of your chest.
- Be Kind to Others – Even though you might not be feeling up to it, be nice to others throughout the day. Kindness is infectious, so by you being nice to someone, there’s a good chance they will reciprocate this to you (and someone else). Pay it forward by keeping a smile on your face, being kind, and practicing generosity when needed.
- Enjoy a Meal – While stress eating is bad and is something you want to avoid, that doesn’t mean you can’t have your favorite meal for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! However, if you need an emergency snack, grab your favorite treat (maybe some dark chocolate?).
- Burn It Off – Exercise is a great way to relieve stress as it’s a more intense version of taking a walk. It will force you to focus on your workout, rather than everything that is currently stressing you out. Studies have shown that regular exercise can also help boost your mood, keeping you happy and even building your tolerance against stress.
Everyone gets stressed out, but rather than letting it ruin your mood (and day), utilize these stress relievers. For other useful tips and information, visit our blog! If you’re interested in learning more, or visiting The Arbors Assisted Living community, schedule a tour by contacting one of our five convenient locations: