The summertime is perfect for going outside, getting some fresh air, and enjoying nature. Other than going for a walk, try out some fun games that are a blast to play, especially if it’s with a friend or two. Here are some perfect games for seniors that are looking to have a little fun in the sun!
- Bocce Ball – Grab a partner, make teams, or play solo; no matter who you play with, bocce ball is the perfect outdoor game for the summertime. Simply toss the small bocce ball to the center of the lawn and see how close you can throw the larger balls to it. This game can spark some good old fashioned, friendly competition among friends.
- Horseshoes – Gather your team from last week’s bocce ball game and switch things up a bit. Playing horseshoes is a great way to improve hand-eye coordination while also allowing friends to talk and socialize.
- Croquet – Heading to the golf course, or mini-golf course, is not always feasible, so it’s times to break out the wooden mallets. Croquet can be set up anywhere in open space and people can practice their putting skills. With all of the swinging and walking, croquet is a good form of light exercise for seniors.
- Card Games – Feel like it’s too hot to be playing physical games? No worries, just take your deck of cards outside! You and a group of friends can start a game of poker, blackjack rummy, etc. Looking for some relaxing alone time? Solitaire in the sun can be a perfect way to get some much-needed Vitamin D!
- Mind Sports – All sports don’t have to be physical, some can be mental. Set up a playing board so you and a friend can play chess, checkers, or backgammon together. Games like these can be a good way to bond, as well as exercising your mind and keeping it sharp.
Take advantage of the summer weather by heading outside and spending some time playing games with friends. At The Arbors, we encourage everyone to take advantage of the summer sun by socializing outside. If you’re interested in learning more, or visiting The Arbors Assisted Living community, schedule a tour by contacting one of our five convenient locations: