As we get older, bone density declines, so it’s important to pay attention to bone health. Because malnutrition is a common problem among seniors, they should especially incorporate a diet that focuses on keeping bones strong.
You may already know that eating calcium enriched foods is good for your bones and dairy products such as milk, cheese and yogurt are all great sources. However, seniors that may have to watch their heart health may want to opt for calcium enriched fruits, vegetables and leafy greens.
Here are some top calcium fortified superfoods that can help prevent bone loss, inhibit osteoporosis and increase bone strength.
- Spinach – Popeye was on to something when he opened that infamous can! Add some cherry tomatoes and cucumbers and a tiny sprinkle of feta cheese for a vitamin and calcium packed salad!
- Broccoli – A staple vegetable on dinner tables everywhere, broccoli isn’t only high in calcium, it holds a boatload of vitamin C, K, A, folate and dietary fiber. Seniors will enjoy having this on their plate for sure!
- Kale – While this leafy green gets a bad rap for its taste, when baked in the oven with a drizzle of olive oil, it can be served up as a a chip substitute! Add a splash of garlic powder and a dash paprika for a tasty crunch!
- Okra – If you are partial to southern delights, then Okra will give a good bone-healthy bite! Add a little bit of olive oil and dash of pepper for a delicious delight!
- Collard Greens – Another good ol’ southern vegetable, collard greens could be your new favorite! Traditional collard greens are usually served up with ham hocks, however, try substituting with turkey for a healthier alternative.
- Tangerines – Peel back this orange delight for more than just a dose of calcium. Tangerines are packed with lots of vitamin C to boot!
- Kiwi – under all that fuzzy brown stuff is pure deliciousness! Kiwis can be added to all types of salads and smoothies too!
The Arbors Assisted Living is a community that encourages and supports healthy eating habits and good food choices that will benefit the overall health and wellness of seniors. We provide a variety of nutritious meals that foster a healthful lifestyle. Contact us to learn more!