Thanksgiving has passed and the holiday season is full upon us. Soon it will be Christmas and time to make our new year’s resolutions, but before then, why not take some time to enjoy the season with your favorite senior and a wonderful holiday movie.
Why Entertainment is Good for Seniors
Holiday movies are often full of cheer and bring laughter. That laughter brings many positive benefits to us.
- Lowers blood pressure.
- Reduces stress.
- Improves cardiac health.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Helps ease chronic pain by releasing the body’s natural painkillers.
- Increases the overall sense of well-being.
Movies bring the additional benefits for seniors.
- Social activities.
- Identifying with characters who help us find energy in real life.
- Improvement in our personal relationships.
Holiday Movies Not to Miss
Whether they are tried and true classics or newcomers to the scene, here is a list of holiday movies not to miss. We said top five, but we couldn’t resist adding the last four!
- White Christmas (1954) – A musical starring Danny Kaye and Bing Crosby
- It’s a Wonderful Life (1946) – starring Jimmy Stewart
- Miracle on 34th Street (1947) – starring Maureen O’Hara and John Payne
- Christmas in Connecticut (1945) – starring Barbara Stanwyck and Dennis Morgan
- Holiday Inn (1942) – starring Bing Crosby, Fred Astaire
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas (1966)
- A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)
- A Christmas Story (1983) – starring Peter Billingsley
- The Santa Clause (1994) – starring Tim Allen
How to Create a Holiday Movie Tradition With Your Favorite Senior
Don’t just take the time to watch a movie but make it special and create a tradition.
Decorate the Christmas tree while watching a movie.
- Wrap presents while watching a movie.
- At the end of the movie, decide what the new year’s resolution should be for each character.
- Invite community members over during the movie for a cookie exchange.
- Make a game of every time someone in the movie says Merry Christmas.
The Arbors Assisted Living community encourages and supports healthy and social activity. We provide a variety of activities that foster a healthful lifestyle. Contact us to learn more!