We love the fall! Now that the leaves are turning color and the air is crisp, there’s no better time to get started on some fall craft projects. Not only will crafting keep your favorite senior busy, it’s great for their health too!
Keeping seniors involved with activities not only gives them something to look forward to but can also help boost memory and other cognitive skills. So, get your craft on with these fun activities!
A Jar of Fun!
Grab your paintbrushes because mason jars are excellent items to use for crafting. Acrylic paint works best. So, choose your favorite colors to make any of these projects pop!
- Bathroom Set – Take two mason jars and turn them into a holder for cotton balls, cotton swabs, toothbrushes and more! You can make it pumpkin themed, or add some fall leaves for a seasonal decorative aesthetic!
- Flower Vase – from polka dots to stripes, create a fun pattern on your jars to hold your hold your chrysanthemums, pansies or any other pretty flowers you like!
- Votive Holder – If you want to forgo the messy pumpkin carving this year, paint a jack-o-lantern or ghost on your mason jar and light up some spooky fun!
Put a Wreath on It!
Wreaths can be an easy and fun craft for seniors to enjoy. All you need is an embroidery hoop, glue gun, and your imagination! Check out these ideas!
- Door Wreath – From Indian corn, dried hydrangea to gourds and pinecones, there is a plethora of autumn items you can use to create a beautiful piece that will last for years to come!
- Tabletop Wreath – create a beautiful centerpiece for your fall home decor. Use bright-orange foliage with faux berries and sunflowers!
You can get crafty in the kitchen too! Bake up some of these fun fall treats for the Halloween season!
- Banana Ghosts – cut a banana in half, dip in white chocolate and add some chocolate morsels for eyes. Presto! You’ve gone “boo-nanas!”
- PB&J Spiders -Spread some peanut butter and jelly on your favorite type of bread and cut out small circles with a cookie cutter. Add thin pretzels for legs and raisins for eyes. This may be the only time you’ll love creepy crawlers!
- Owl Cupcakes – This easy to make recipe is so much fun! All you need is a cake mix, candy corn, and chocolate chips to create a hoot of a treat! Betty Crocker has the recipe!
Seniors who engage in activities such as crafting often feel happier. The Arbors Assisted Living is a Community that encourages seniors to participate in activities that can benefit their overall health and wellness. Contact us today to find how how we can help your senior loved one.