The goal each day is to wake up and go to bed happy, without a negative change in mood throughout the day. However, there are things that happen in our lives that can stop us from smiling. Whenever you feel like you’re not in a positive mindset, make one of these small changes and you’ll turn that frown upside down!
- Show Your Teeth – Did you know it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile? Even if you’re not in the best of moods, crack a smile when you see a familiar face. When something negative happens, think of a memory that you can’t help but smile to.
- Fake It – Even when you’re not in the best of moods, fake like you’re in a good mood. Putting in an effort to make it seem like you’re happy can lead to you actually feeling happy. When you’re feeling down, put on some music and start dancing. Chances are that your forced efforts will put you in a good mood.
- Give a Little Bit – The warm feeling you get when you give a gift on Christmas morning doesn’t have to happen once a year. Boost your mood by getting a friend or family member a small gift. It doesn’t have to be expensive, just thoughtful enough for both of you to have a reason to smile.
- Sunny Days – When the sun is out and shining, make your way outside. Even if the weather is a little chilly, spend a half hour or so outside to soak in some much-needed vitamin D. Mood levels were shown to increase with an increase in sun exposure, just remember to stay protected with sunscreen!
- Pep in Your Step – Get off that chair and go for a nice walk when you’re feeling down. Exercise can take your mind off of the bad and allow you to focus on the task at hand. Walking with a partner will also allow you to vent and talk about your feelings with a friend. Exercise will improve your mood and your health as an added bonus!
No one can be happy all the time, but there are ways to make sure you’re in a good for a majority of it. For other useful tips and information, visit our blog! If you’re interested in learning more, or visiting The Arbors Assisted Living community, schedule a tour by contacting one of our five convenient locations: