You probably already gifted mom or dad with a Netflix account to help them pass the time (and if you didn’t you should!), but have you thought about entertaining ways to keep their minds sharp as well? The brain is a muscle, which means it needs to be exercised just like all the other muscles in your body. For that reason, we’ve curated a list of some of our top iOS and Android apps to provide your loved one with hours or brain-busting fun at the Arbors!
5 Must-Download Puzzle Apps For Mom & Dad
- Crosswords Classic – With hundreds of puzzles archived and new ones daily, your loved one will never run out of ways to have fun and exercise their brain.
- Sudoku – Is your loved one a numbers guy or gal? Download Sudoku puzzles for them to keep them sharp and entertained.
- Lumosity – This app is particularly known for improving and sustaining memory — just what your aging loved one needs!
- Words With Friends – Just like the classic game, Scrabble, Words With Friends can be played with you and yours. The benefit here is twofold — your loved one get a fun, intellectual game to play, which doubles as a way to keep them connected to family members on the app as well.
- Mindmate – If your loved one suffers from Dementia or Alzheimer’s, this is one of the best apps for them. Mindmate not only has games to stimulate cognitive abilities, but it also provides tips for eating healthy and exercising. On top of that, the app offers the ability to store personal information and memories that can be shared with family members.
Additional Apps for Elderly Loved Ones
- Skype – Life is hectic and keeping in touch is hard. It can also be difficult for your elderly loved ones to make it to some of the big moments in your life due to limited mobility. Cue the Skype app! Now, no matter where you are, you and your loved one can stay connected.
- Magnifying Glass With Light – Let’s face it, as we age, so does our eyesight. Why not make things easier for your elderly relatives with this free app. It helps enlarge and illuminate small font in books, magazines, newspapers, restaurant menus, and more.
- Pillboxie – The days of having to remember all of those medications are over! Pillboxie will remind your loved one when to take their medications, based on a schedule that you control.
Keeping the mind stimulated and active can have a huge impact, especially as we age. Make sure your loved one is armed with all the best brain teasers to keep them sharp for years to come!
The Arbors Assisted Living is a community that works with support and compassion for the elderly. We provide a variety of activities that constitute a good, healthy lifestyle. Contact us today to learn more.