The secret to a well-balanced senior diet starts with mindfulness and ends with persistence. We know how hard it can be to set a diet and stick to it, but it can be easier when you move past thinking of a diet as a chore, and more of a challenge. Diets don’t have to be icky, either. There are plenty of healthy foods that are also very delicious. Allow us to name a few below.
Some of The Best (& Most Tasty) Foods for Elderly People
- Cabbage, spinach, and greens of all kinds.
- Apples, oranges, bananas, pears, and tomatoes too!
- Frozen broccoli and berries or almonds for snacking in a cinch.
- 100% whole-wheat bread, and whole-grain cereals and sides — like oatmeal and brown rice.
- Seafood and plenty of skinless chicken and turkey breast.
- Scrambled whole eggs with fat-free cheese, or a fat-free yogurt on the side.
5 Easy Tips for Maintaining a Healthy Diet as You Age
- Go lean with lean proteins — think lean meats, seafood, eggs, and beans.
- Always choose whole grains and low-fat. The difference in taste isn’t all that obvious, but the health benefits are!
- Read and understand nutrition facts. Stay away from added sugars, high-fat content, and food overloaded with sodium.
- Exercise! This one is a bit of a twist, but believe it or not, your diet and your daily exercise go hand in hand.
- Stay hydrated, always. Not only is water very important, but it can also help you stay full. Many times people end up overeating when in reality they’re just thirsty!
At The Arbors, we take dining very seriously! We’ve mastered the art of offering a very special dining experience for our residents, while also keeping dietary needs top of mind. Even our delicious desserts have been crafted with dietary concerns in mind.
The Arbors Assisted Living is a community that works with support and compassion for the elderly. We provide a variety of activities that constitute a good, healthy lifestyle. Contact us today to learn more.