Gardening not only provides great exercise, but it can also improve your health and mood all around. Why? Well, for starters, studies show that having flowers and greenery around can help reduce blood pressure and anxiety levels — not to mention all those plants give off a ton of fresh, clean oxygen! That’s right, they’re nature’s best air purifiers! So, if you or a loved one is interested in taking up gardening as a hobby, we’ll show you exactly where to start.
The Easiest Gardening Ideas For The Elderly
- Choose a terrarium. This neat piece functions as both a healthy hobby as well as a stable decor item for any space. Plus, they’re super easy to upkeep. You can purchase terrariums premade, but if you’re up for the challenge of creating your own, Real Simple can show you how.
- Select some succulents. These are the perfect indoor plant for a few reasons. For one, they can thrive in nearly any environment, but more importantly, they don’t require as much TLC as some other plants. Just water your succulents every once in a while, give them some sun here and there, and you’re good to go!
- Turn a table into a garden. With help from a family member or friend, make a few simple modifications to an old end- or coffee table and, voila! You’ve got yourself real, living furniture. We especially love this living table featured on Inhabitant.
- Hang your greenery. Who says a garden has to grow from the ground? Defy the laws of gravity with a cute hanging garden. This is a particularly good idea for those that live in assisted living communities because it allows you to utilize wall space without taking up floor space.
- Paint a few pots. Perhaps you’ve already got a green thumb going, but are looking to spruce them up a bit more. All you need is a little acrylic paint, a terracotta pot, and some imagination. You can even get the whole family involved for a family paint party at the Arbors!
No matter which way you choose to do it, gardening indoors is a great way to help you or your elderly loved one live a happy, healthy life.
The Arbors Assisted Living is a community that works with support and compassion for the elderly. We provide a variety of activities that constitute a good, healthy lifestyle. Contact us today to learn more.