Summer is one of the best seasons thanks to the gorgeous weather. If you’re looking to make your summer not only fun but also healthy, consider these unusually effective health tips.
- Hydrate Through Food – If you’re out and about on a hot day, pack food that will keep you hydrated. Some of the best foods to eat to stay hydrated are watermelon, peaches, cucumbers, and tomatoes.
- Smell to Relax – Looking to calm your nerves, but you don’t have time to meditate or do some yoga? Grab an orange and start sniffing up a storm! According to a study in France, citrusy and floral aromas will help lower anxiety and stress levels.
- Sun Without the Burn – UV rays and the heat are too much for some people to handle. Rather than going outside for extended periods of time just to be in the summer sun, up your vitamin D intake. Sockeye salmon, fortified cereal, egg yolks, swiss cheese, and fish oil are all great sources of vitamin D.
- Tape It Up – Do you get blisters on your feet during the summertime? If so, don’t throw your shoes out; just buy some surgical paper tape and cover up any sensitive skin. Slapping a piece of this tape on the back of your heel or wherever else, can cut down on the amount of blisters you get by almost 40 percent!
- Smelly Feet – Increased heat means increased sweat and odors inside of your shoes. Place a little rubbing alcohol on a cotton ball and rub it inside of your shoes to kill any germs. Then place a tea bag in each shoe overnight to rid them of their foul smells.
- Protecting Your Skin – Sunscreen and bug spray should both be used during the summertime. So which one goes on first, or does it not matter? Sunscreen should be applied first while indoors, followed by bug spray after. For the best protection, put them on one at a time rather than buying a single combined solution.
- Clothing Choices – Did you know certain colors of clothing are better at blocking UV rays than others? More vivid colors do a better job at blocking rays than pale or washed out ones. Also, darker colors have the same effect in comparison to lighter ones.
When the summertime, hits there are ways you can stay healthy that are slightly unorthodox. For more health and lifestyle tips, head on over to our blog! If you’re interested in learning more, or visiting The Arbors Assisted Living community, schedule a tour by contacting one of our five convenient locations: