Every now and then you’ll need something to help improve your mood. The best way to go from sad and mad to happy and glad is by eating a select few delicious foods! Now who said you can’t eat your way to happiness?
- Coffee/Tea – Caffeinated coffee has been shown to reduce the risk of depression in most women. Not a coffee person? High-quality green tea can help provide mental focus and instills a calming effect on the brain thanks to its rich L-theanine properties.
- Berries – Certain types of berries, such as blueberries and blackberries, contain high levels of anthocyanidins. This plant pigment is known to boost brain function. However, all berries should be eaten due to their nutrient-dense composition that provides sound brain chemistry.
- Leafy Vegetables – Everyone should be consuming at least one to two servings of leafy greens per day. Why? Other than all of their health benefits, these greens will give you a healthy dose of folic acid. When your body doesn’t have enough folic acid, the risk of depression is greater.
- Olive Oil – This popular cooking ingredient contains anti-inflammatory properties that are linked to a reduction in the development of disorders associated with depression. Those who don’t consume as much olive oil, and consume more processed foods, are at a greater risk of becoming depressed.
- Dark Chocolate – Luckily for everyone, dark chocolate has been found to reduce stress hormones. After eating a piece or two, people are more likely to be nicer to others, with some even volunteering to help another person. Oh, how sweet it is!
In moderation, it is perfectly acceptable to eat your way to happiness (as long as it’s the right foods). For other useful tips and information, visit our blog! If you’re interested in learning more, or visiting The Arbors Assisted Living community, schedule a tour by contacting one of our five convenient locations: